LXDE is probably the newest desktop environment on Linux. It’s just released on the 20th of April. LXDE stands for Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment and it aims for a lightweight desktop environment running on old machines with great interface.
Its website is found here.
Even though LXDE is quite new, already 10 distributions are running it!!
- PUD GNU/Linux, Ubuntu-based installable live cd with LXDE
- TinyMe, PCLinuxOS-based tiny distro using some components of LXDE
- Slitaz, Extremely small live cd using most of the components of LXDE
- Greenie, Ubuntu-based OS with LXDE and GNOME desktop enviroments
- Ubuntulite, Member of Ubuntu Derivatives featuring LXDE
- Vectorlinux LITE, VectorLinux LITE edition
- Myah OS 3.0 Box edition, LXDE flavor of Myah OS
- gOS 3.0 , Linux with Google gadgets and LXDE components
- Zenwalk 3.0, multi-purpose Linux with LXDE components.
- Mandriva, a popularly known distribution, just released LXDE version on the 2009.0 release. Also has GNOME and KDE.
Components: LXDE aims for easy to use, simple navigation.
- PCMan File Manager
- LXLauncher, easy-mode application launcher
- LXPanel, desktop panel
- LXSession, session manager
- LXAppearance, theme switcher
- leafpad, text editor
- Xarchiver, archiving
- GPicView, image viewer
- LXTerminal, terminal emulator
- LXTask, task manager
- LXNM, lightweight network connection helper daemon for LXDE supporting wireless connections (Linux-only)
- Openbox, window manager
Applications: Here are list of defualt applictions on LXDE.
Easy & Fast File Management with PCManFM
PCManFM – PCMan File Manager
LXpanel – Preferences
LXpanel – Autocompletion
GPicView – Fast and Easy Image Viewing
LXAppearance – Change Look & Feel