December 11, 2008
We have all been hearing the popularity of the three main DE, Gnome, KDE and XFCE. They all of their uniqueness. But which one is the most stable and mature desktop? Which one is the least memory consuming?
LinuxFormat puts these DE to various tests. See here.
December 1, 2008
The 4.2 version of KDE has been released! This polishes up the existing KDE 4. With new planted features aiming at ease of use, improvements of softwares and lots of bugs fixed.
KDE now has a polished looking desktop environment with its updated Vista-style taskbar. It also included Google Gadgets on one of the Plasma applets. It had also improved the desktop effects and other minor navigation improvements.
See KDE 4.2 here.
October 12, 2008
LXDE is probably the newest desktop environment on Linux. It’s just released on the 20th of April. LXDE stands for Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment and it aims for a lightweight desktop environment running on old machines with great interface.
Its website is found here.
Even though LXDE is quite new, already 10 distributions are running it!!
- PUD GNU/Linux, Ubuntu-based installable live cd with LXDE
- TinyMe, PCLinuxOS-based tiny distro using some components of LXDE
- Slitaz, Extremely small live cd using most of the components of LXDE
- Greenie, Ubuntu-based OS with LXDE and GNOME desktop enviroments
- Ubuntulite, Member of Ubuntu Derivatives featuring LXDE
- Vectorlinux LITE, VectorLinux LITE edition
- Myah OS 3.0 Box edition, LXDE flavor of Myah OS
- gOS 3.0 , Linux with Google gadgets and LXDE components
- Zenwalk 3.0, multi-purpose Linux with LXDE components.
- Mandriva, a popularly known distribution, just released LXDE version on the 2009.0 release. Also has GNOME and KDE.
Components: LXDE aims for easy to use, simple navigation.
- PCMan File Manager
- LXLauncher, easy-mode application launcher
- LXPanel, desktop panel
- LXSession, session manager
- LXAppearance, theme switcher
- leafpad, text editor
- Xarchiver, archiving
- GPicView, image viewer
- LXTerminal, terminal emulator
- LXTask, task manager
- LXNM, lightweight network connection helper daemon for LXDE supporting wireless connections (Linux-only)
- Openbox, window manager
Applications: Here are list of defualt applictions on LXDE.
Easy & Fast File Management with PCManFM
PCManFM – PCMan File Manager
LXpanel – Preferences
LXpanel – Autocompletion
GPicView – Fast and Easy Image Viewing
LXAppearance – Change Look & Feel
LXTask – Task Manager
October 10, 2008
KDE4 is the newest version of the K Desktop Environment.
You can read more about KDE4 here.
On this version, KDE had achieved its goal.
KDE has been looking for ways it can improve the desktop interface, offering the prettiest desktop on linux. And on KDE4, it had achived it’s goal!
KDE4 offers a Mac style interface with Windows navigational system, attempting to make new commers become more familiar with the style and look.
Although, there is one down side of this eye candy looking desktop environment. KDE isn’t designed for performance so it is very much memory consuming. Both KDE3 and KDE4 continuously freeze both my virtual machine and the actual computer. And the startup process is slightly slower than Ubuntu (GNOME).
And here, I reveal the latest KDE4 on Kubuntu 8.04 since it has more seders than the Kubuntu 8.10 upcoming BETA.
KDE4 Startup Screen:
KDE4 Start Menu (Trying to imitate openSUSE’s start menu):
KDE4 Newly developed Dolphin File manager:
KDE4 Dolphin on “split view” feature:
The new Konqueror (trying to immitate the look and feel of Firefox):
KDE4 Widgets (Simmilar to Mac’s):
KDE4 System Settings:
KDE4 System Monitor:
KDE4 Log out screen:
KDE4 Freezes every time I run adept package manager:
September 27, 2008
What’s New For Users
The latest Gnome desktop environment, 2.24 has now been released.
With newly added features, improved stability and lots more!
Gnome had released Empathy, the official gnome chat client.
Gnome now support tabbed browsing on its File Manager.
It also had developed a sticky reminder which displays text on the task bar.
Read the release notes here.
Empathy Instant Messenger