December 19, 2008
The latest openSUSE,. version 11.1 has been released yesterday.
It has all the latest versions of desktop environments and the latest applications such as Firefox 3.0 and Open Office 3.0.
There is also upgrades on the partitioning tool, YaST which offers more options.
To read more about new features, click here.
To download openSUSE 11, click here
Open Office 3
December 11, 2008
For the first time, linux has now been sucessfully ported to the iPhone with most of the basic features enabled. Features such as touch screen, sound, wireless networking are not available.
For more information and a demonstration, please visit the following website.
December 1, 2008
The 4.2 version of KDE has been released! This polishes up the existing KDE 4. With new planted features aiming at ease of use, improvements of softwares and lots of bugs fixed.
KDE now has a polished looking desktop environment with its updated Vista-style taskbar. It also included Google Gadgets on one of the Plasma applets. It had also improved the desktop effects and other minor navigation improvements.
See KDE 4.2 here.
November 12, 2008
Now for what we have been waiting for since the release of Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex.
Linux Mint 6, code named Felicia is finally released!
The team is ready to announce the new features from Ubuntu 8.10, including the latest GNOME 2.24, the latest Firefox 3 and other GNOME applications.
The Mint team had also added a couple of new features to enhance security and accessibility features.
One of the tool is mintInstall. At last! Linux Mint had developed its own Software Manager!
The skin remains untouched. The Mint menu, which used to display the current version of Mint, had now changed to “Menu”.
Read the updates and new features by clicking here.
October 12, 2008
LXDE is probably the newest desktop environment on Linux. It’s just released on the 20th of April. LXDE stands for Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment and it aims for a lightweight desktop environment running on old machines with great interface.
Its website is found here.
Even though LXDE is quite new, already 10 distributions are running it!!
- PUD GNU/Linux, Ubuntu-based installable live cd with LXDE
- TinyMe, PCLinuxOS-based tiny distro using some components of LXDE
- Slitaz, Extremely small live cd using most of the components of LXDE
- Greenie, Ubuntu-based OS with LXDE and GNOME desktop enviroments
- Ubuntulite, Member of Ubuntu Derivatives featuring LXDE
- Vectorlinux LITE, VectorLinux LITE edition
- Myah OS 3.0 Box edition, LXDE flavor of Myah OS
- gOS 3.0 , Linux with Google gadgets and LXDE components
- Zenwalk 3.0, multi-purpose Linux with LXDE components.
- Mandriva, a popularly known distribution, just released LXDE version on the 2009.0 release. Also has GNOME and KDE.
Components: LXDE aims for easy to use, simple navigation.
- PCMan File Manager
- LXLauncher, easy-mode application launcher
- LXPanel, desktop panel
- LXSession, session manager
- LXAppearance, theme switcher
- leafpad, text editor
- Xarchiver, archiving
- GPicView, image viewer
- LXTerminal, terminal emulator
- LXTask, task manager
- LXNM, lightweight network connection helper daemon for LXDE supporting wireless connections (Linux-only)
- Openbox, window manager
Applications: Here are list of defualt applictions on LXDE.
Easy & Fast File Management with PCManFM
PCManFM – PCMan File Manager
LXpanel – Preferences
LXpanel – Autocompletion
GPicView – Fast and Easy Image Viewing
LXAppearance – Change Look & Feel
LXTask – Task Manager
October 11, 2008
Mandriva 2009.0 is released!
So if you’re bored of the year 2008 and want the taste of 2009 right now….Try Mandriva 2009.0!
Mandriva 2009.0 offers the latest KDE 4.1 and GNOME 2.24 desktops and the latest Firefox 3, OpenOffice.org 3 and the latest applications.
It still got the easy to use desktop and stunning interface.
Plus, a newly added desktop environment, LXDE…
Read more about this here.
October 5, 2008
Betas of these operating systems have been released recently, under the codename Intrepid Ibex. With lots of new features planted and thousands of bugs fixed. They offer the new exiting background, the latest desktop environments and the latest applications. They are available for downloads via their websites or upgrade by following the instructions.